Discovering rats in your home or business can be very distressing. Luckily, there are ways you can deter rats and prevent an infestation. These rodents have been plaguing humans for centuries. They are both hardy animals and very clever. They can get into tiny spaces, which is why even the smallest of holes in your home could be a potential access point for rats.
Signs of Rats
- Rat droppings – Brown Rat droppings are dark brown in a tapered, spindle shape – like a grain of rice.
- Rub marks – Grease and dirt on their bodies leave smudges on surfaces.
- Scratching noises – Black rats are agile climbers and often found in lofts to you might hear scratching noises at night.
- Rat holes – Brown rats are well known for digging extensive burrow systems for shelter, food storage, and nesting.
- Rat nests – Rats will shred available materials such as loft insulation, cardboard, and other soft items to make nests.
- Footprints – Rats leave foot and tail marks in dusty, less-used areas of buildings.
How can you prevent a Rat infestation in your home?
- Keep food in metal or glass containers with tight-fitting lids.
- Clean inside the house and around the garden – less clutter means fewer places to hide.
- Put outdoor garbage bags in metal garbage cans with securely fitted lids to stop them from feeding on contents.
- Clean up pet food and bird seed debris, and store pet food in robust containers with fitted lids – preferably above ground level.
- Keep gardens free from debris and keep clutter to a minimum.
- If you have a compost heap don’t include organic food waste, as this will attract them.
- If you have already spotted signs of rats, such as droppings, prevention may already be too late.
- We would advise you to act quickly to get rid of rats and prevent a larger infestation from developing.
Consult pest control experts
If you see signs of infestation or would like to prevent it from happening in the first place, the best step you can take is to talk to pest control experts.
Our experts have extensive knowledge of the behavior of each species that plagues your property.
We also know the best way on how to deal with them, including the proper pest control treatment to use against the specific type of Rodents you are dealing with.